Download Global Mapper v15.0
Global Mapper is a powerful Windows application built specifically for helping you manipulate
GIS (geographic information system) data in a professional way.
The user interface may seem a bit overwhelming at a first glance, but this is only because the application comes packed with many dedicated parameters. In order to make the most out of every single built-in feature, you should check the online help manual and useful tutorials.
Global Mapper offers support for a wide range of data formats: GeoPDF, DLG, DRG, DOQ, DEM, DGN, DTED, DWG, DXF, GPX, SDTS DEM, ECW, GRD, JPEG, CADRG/CIB, KML/KMZ, and others.
As soon as you run the application, the program puts at your disposal four main operations, namely open your own data file, download free maps or images from online sources, configure the program settings, or load sample data.
Global Mapper enables users to zoom in or out of the map, activate the 3D mode, pick the background colour, draw and measure segments and areas, select the vector features (areas, lines, and points), view loaded elevation datasets and perform line of sight calculations, and use a built-in coordinate convertor.
Furthermore, there are several tools designed to help you create an elevation grid from 3D vector data, combine or compare terrain layers, generate contours and watershed, find ridge lines, and measure volume between surfaces.
The search process can be carried out in terms of name, attributes, and description. Plus, you can perform search and replace operations and look for addresses.
Other important features worth mentioning allow users to activate the GPS function, pick the colour, size, and shape of the vessel, mark the waypoints, as well as select new areas on the map and modify their features in terms of type (e.g. sands, watersheds, wooded area, lakes, islands, reservations), name, and distance.
The generated data can be exported to a multitude of file formats, namely PDF, JPG, PCX, PNG, RAW, KML/KMZ, DXF, SVG, and others.
All things considered, Global Mapper is a reliable application that bundles many useful features for helping you manage GIS data efficiently. It is suitable especially for advanced users because it provides a wide array of tools.
Here are some key features of “Global Mapper”:
- Global Mapper supports viewing of dozens of the most common data formats: GeoPDF, DLG (DLG-O & SDTS), DRG, DOQ, DEM, DGN, DTED, DWG, DXF, GPX, SDTS DEM, ECW, MrSID (Imagery & Lidar), ESRI Shapefiles, E00, Vertical Mapper GRD, JPEG2000, CADRG/CIB, GeoTIFF, KML/KMZ, Lidar LAS, Arc Grid, Tiger/Line, SEGP1/UKOOA P-190.
- Provides direct access to DigitalGlobe high resolution color imagery and OpenStreetMap.org detailed street maps for the entire world from within the application!
- Provides direct access to the complete TerraServer-USA satellite imagery and topographic map archive for the entire US free-of-charge within the application!
- Provides easy, direct access to WMS data sources, including built-in access to the complete 30-m NED database, the 3-arc second world SRTM database, and color global Landsat imagery free-of-charge within the application!
- Supports true 3D viewing of loaded elevation data including draping of any loaded imagery and vector data over the 3D surface.
- Crop, reproject, and merge any combination of raster data and elevation data, including DRGs. You can also crop data to an area feature.
- GeoPDF SUPPORT! You can import GeoPDF files and export any collection of loaded data to new GeoPDF files, making your data accessible to any user without requiring them to have any mapping knowledge.
- DIGITIZING SUPPORT! You can digitize new vector (area, line, and point) features by drawing them with the mouse. You can also edit existing vector features. Newly created and editing features can be saved to any of the supported export formats. In addition, shapes like rectangles, circles, ellipses, arcs, and concentric range rings. can be easily drawn as well. You can also input features via a series of distance/bearing/COGO coordinates.
- GPS SUPPORT! You can track a compatible GPS device connected to your computer’s serial port or USB port in real-time over any loaded data. In addition, you can mark waypoints at the current GPS location and record a tracklog of where your GPS device has been while connected, all seamless with your loaded map data! With supported devices you can even track multiple GPS devices in order to perform fleet management functions.
- PROJECTION/DATUM SUPPORT – Global Mapper supports accurate conversions between a large list of projection systems and datums. NAD27 and NAD83 HPGN/HARN datum conversions in the US use the NADCON conversion method, and the NTv2 datum conversion method is used for the NAD27 (Canada), AGD66, AGD84, and NZGD49 datums. Custom datum conversions can be easily added in either 3-parameter or 7-parameter form if a required datum transformation is not already supported.
- EXPORT SUPPORT! You can export both vector, raster, and elevation data to a variety of formats (see below). You can merge any combination of data sets, regardless of source scale, type, and projection. You can also breakup your data into a regularly spaced grid on export if you’d like as well.